Tuesday 23 December 2008

Ian wright celts fans are REPTILES

Ian Wright "They are reptiles".

Reptiles: Wright hits out at fans

From: Evening Standard - London
Date: February 15, 2000


IAN WRIGHT today hit out at critics who labelled him a football mercenary after his move from Celtic to Second Division promotion- chasers Burnley for the rest of the season.



The former Arsenal and England striker quit Parkhead when temporary manager Kenny Dalglish said he couldn't guarantee him first- team football.
Wright said: "I've been slaughtered as some kind of football mercenary and that I was playing in Scotland just for the money.
"That's rubbish. I want to play football because I love the game so much."
Wright also believes former Celtic head coach John Barnes was treated harshly.
The former Liverpool and England midfielder was sacked just eight months into the job.
Wright said: "I just can't help thinking a lot of people have finally got what they wanted - John Barnes sacked.
"Celtic won nine of their first 10 games yet as soon as we lost our first there were rumblings. John simply did not get a fair crack of the whip.
"There was always someone waiting to slag him off."
Wright also attacked a minority of the Celtic supporters in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup defeat by Inverness Caledonian Thistle.
He said: "I felt I was caught up in a war crisis not involved in a football result.
"Some so-called fans, a few morons who know nothing better, covered my car in spit, they were shouting obscenities at myself and Regi Blinker.

Blinker was given pelters too.
"They were screaming at me to get back to London, to clear off out of the place and that I didn't deserve to wear their colours. It was stone age stuff from reptiles."
Wright's move to Turf Moor sees him join up again with Burnley manager Stan Ternent, who was Crystal Palace coach when Wright was coming through the ranks at Selhurst Park. Best friend Mitchell Thomas is also at the Lancashire club.
"I've known Stan Ternent since I first turned professional and he has been on at me for years to sign for him so I've finally given in," Wright added.
"I just hope I can make some kind of contribution to their promotion push.
"If Burnley can get into the playoffs it means I could finish my career with a playoff final."
Ternent, savouring capturing Wright, said: "Ian's in the twilight of his career but he's still a sensational talent."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/643498.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment